Develop a Leadership Strategy to Drive Organizational Results
Strengthen organizational leadership by developing a clear vision of the leaders your organization needs to drive results.
- Leadership development isn’t helping. Less than half of business leaders would describe the return from their leadership development efforts as good or very good (Korn Ferry Institute, 2015).
- The current operational context makes it more difficult than ever for leadership to be effective. The VUCA environment makes it challenging to make good decisions, organizations are not always set up to promote effective leadership, and some traditionally rewarded leadership behaviors are a liability for leaders today.
- Building the organization’s leadership capabilities is not just about leadership development.
- Develop a strategy for leadership that is tied to the organizational strategy and takes into account today’s leadership needs in order to set the organization up for leadership success.
Impact and Result
Develop a leadership strategy tied to the organizational strategy to build your organization’s leadership capacity. This includes:
- A vision for leadership and how it supports business strategies.
- Leadership competencies required to carry out these strategies.
- A plan of action for how to align people processes to meet leadership needs, including addressing any organizational barriers to leadership success.
Research & Tools
1. Define leadership for your organization
Conduct analyses and interviews to develop an aligned leadership strategy vision statement.
|Develop a Leadership Strategy to Drive Organizational Results Storyboard|
|Develop a Leadership Strategy to Drive Organizational Results Executive Briefing|
|Leadership Strategy Working Document|
|Leadership Strategy Template|
|Senior Leader Interview Guide|
|Leadership Strategy Focus Group Guide|
|Leadership PESTLE Analysis Template|
|Leadership SWOT Analysis Template|
2. Identify leadership competencies
Select key leadership competencies that support the leadership vision.
|Leadership Competency Library|
3. Prepare to integrate leadership vision throughout the organization
Action plan for integrating the leadership vision across the organization and measuring impacts.
Speak With an Advisor
Get the help you need in this 3-phase advisory process. You'll receive 6 touchpoints with our researchers, all included in your membership:
Guided Implementation #1 - Define leadership for your organization
- Call # 1 Determine leadership needs based on internal and external analysis.
- Call # 2 Create a leadership vision statement.
Guided Implementation #2 - Identify leadership competencies
- Call # 1 Select key competencies that align with leadership needs and support the leadership vision.
Guided Implementation #3 - Prepare to integrate leadership vision throughout the organization
- Call # 1 Identify organizational barriers to achieving the leadership vision.
- Call # 2 Develop an action plan for integrating the leadership vision throughout the organization.
- Call # 3 Develop messages to communicate the leadership strategy and select goals and metrics.
- Lori Kantymir
- Gabriela Dedelli
- Tamara Heimonen
- Harlas Campbell, Director of Organizational Development & Training, Carlex Glass America, LLC
- Brett Cohen, Vice President of Human Resources, Elbit Systems of America
- Rob Elkington Ph.D., Founder and CEO, Global Leadership Initiatives
- Amanda Holmes, Vice President of Global Talent Acquisition, AccorHotels
- Brad Jones, Learning and Development Program Administrator, Carlex Glass America, LLC
- Barbara Lombardo, Chair of The Board of Directors, Gateway to College National Network
- Michael Messier, Executive Vice President & Chief Human Resources Officer, Excelitas Technologies
- Talene Elizabeth Palvetzian, Corporate Manager, OPS Leadership Development, Ontario Public Service
- Maura Parda, Managing Partner, 512 Leadership Group
- Craig Parrish, Vice President of Human Resources, BNSF Logistics
- Bill Pasmore, Senior Vice President, Center for Creative Leadership
- Bill Smillie, President, Tamarac Consulting LLC
- Tom Tesoro, Vice President of Human Resources, Standard Motor Products
- Kim Ziprik, Organizational Development Manager, NASCO