- There are many voices with different opinions on the role of project management. This causes confusion and unnecessary churn.
- Project management and product management naturally align to different time horizons. Harmonizing their viewpoints can take significant work.
- Different parts of the organization have diverse views on how to govern and fund pieces of work, which leads to confusion when it comes to the role of project management.
There is no one-size-fits-all approach to product delivery. For many organizations product delivery requires detailed project management practices, while for others it requires much less. Taking an outcome-first approach when planning your product transformation is critical to make the right decision on the balance between project and product management.
Impact and Result
- Get alignment on the definition of projects and products.
- Understand the differences between delivering projects and delivering products.
- Line up your project management activities with the needs of Agile and product-centric projects.
- Understand how funding can change when moving away from project-centric delivery.
Research & Tools
1. Define the Role of Project Management in Agile and Product-Centric Delivery – A guide that walks you through how to define the role of project management in product-centric and Agile delivery environments.
The activities in this research will guide you through clarifying how you want to talk about projects and products, aligning project management and agility, specifying the different activities for project management, and identifying key differences with funding of products instead of projects.
Define the Role of Project Management in Agile and Product-Centric Delivery Storyboard